"Enterprises of the future will use a combination of these three trends to improve productivity, transform citizen and customer experience, and to seek competitive advantage," said Hung LeHong, research vice president at Gartner. "These three major trends are made possible by three areas that facilitate and support the relationship between human and machine. Machines are becoming better at understanding humans and the environment — for example, recognizing the emotion in a person's voice — and humans are becoming better at understanding machines — for example, through the Internet of things. At the same time, machines and humans are getting smarter by working together."
1. Augmenting humans with technology
2. Machines replacing humans
3. Humans and machines working alongside each other
4. Machines better understanding humans and the environment
5. Humans better understanding machines
6. Machines and humans becoming smarter